Were you a fan of superheroes as a kid? Are your kids fans of superheroes now?
Let me ask a question more related to homeschooling. Do your kids enjoy writing? Do they fight you on it or are they excited to get their words down on paper.
My kids are somewhere in the middle. They want to love to write. We’re still working on their penmanship, but their spelling and writing endurance need quite a bit of work. This is one of those areas where I want to do what I can to improve it, but for the longest time I wasn’t sure what to do to keep their interest. This year I’m trying something new.
Themed writing prompts.
I’ll be using a theme each month to see if I can build writing endurance, improve spelling, teach some basic components of creative writing as we go, and hopefully maintain the girl’s excitement about writing each day.
That’s right. We’re going to attempt writing every single day for the month. To keep them excited, I’ll be writing with them. We’ll have special notebooks and we’ll all write, then share or discuss as much about what we wrote as we’re willing to divulge.
I’m sharing my list of prompts for this month. Feel free to use any or all of them in your own homeschool or other educational lessons. Use them as is or fit them into what you’re working on in your own home or classroom.
Superhero Writing Prompts
- What does it mean to be a superhero?
- If you could have any superpower what would it be and why?
- What is your superhero name? How did your superhero come up with that name? Was it given by media? A friend?
- You have some fantastic personality traits that would be perfect for a superhero. Think about yourself and what things about you would help you be an amazing superhero.
- If you were a superhero, what would your weakness be and how would you react to it.
- As a superhero, would you have a secret identity? What would it be?
- Describe a typical day in your superhero’s life.
- What motivates your superhero to be a superhero? Did something happen in the past? Was your superhero born into this life?
- What are your superhero’s values? What is important or high priority in your superhero’s life?
- Does your superhero have any vices? A habit or something that isn’t always viewed as positive? How does this affect the superhero? Does it cause problems?
- If you were a superhero how would you be notified someone needs you?
- Describe a scene where your superhero saves the day. Use a lot of description focusing on the action.
- Where does your hero live? Is there a secret headquarters? Describe it.
- Does your superhero have a hobby? Is it something a regular person would have like knitting or collecting baseball cards, or is it something off the wall like taking pictures of far off galaxies?
- How does your superhero get around? Flying, driving, running, something else? Get creative and describe the superhero’s transportation.
- Does your superhero wear anything specific? Describe the ensemble from head to toe and why it’s important.
- Is there a sidekick or team that helps out your superhero? Write about the different characters.
- Who is the archnemesis to your superhero?
- What is the biggest challenge your superhero has ever had to overcome.
- Does your superhero have a pet? Is it an animal or an alien? Does it help the superhero save the day?
- Write a short story about your superhero including all of the character and plot development ideas you’ve already explored. Think about the storyline, including the introduction, the conflict, the resolution, and the ending. Will you focus on suspense or action? Maybe both?
- What happens as superheros get older? Do they retire? Are they able to use their superpowers as efficiently?
- Think about a world where superheroes are feared or hated. What led up to this view of superheroes?
- If your superhero went on vacation what is the destination?
- What was your superhero like as a kid?
- Is there a superhero school where kids with superpowers go to learn how to save the world?
- Tell a story about someone throwing a surprise party for a superhero. How would they keep the secret? How would they distract the superhero?
- Do you have a favorite superhero? Is it from a comic, movie, or cartoon? Talk about why you like this superhero.
- Think about your favorite story, that doesn’t have a superhero, and rewrite it making one of the main characters a superhero.
- Describe a real life superhero in your life.
- How can you be a superhero to someone? What are some things you can do to improve the life of another person. Think about people you know as well as people you’ve never met.