Reading time with the kids is one of my favorite parts of the day. This isn’t the shorter stories we read for bedtime or through the day. These are chapter books we’re reading together, usually in the mid afternoon when just enough energy has been spent to make us all ready for a bit of down time.
For those of you who don’t know us yet, my girls are 4 and 5. They aren’t old enough to read big books on their own, but they love to hear the stories and let their imaginations wander. Sometimes they’ll fall asleep nestled up next to me, sometimes they get bored fast. Other times, they listen intently and ask questions.
In honor of our reading time, I wanted to write out a list of books we might be reading in the future. It’s a collection of classics and fun stuff that I enjoyed when I was younger and I know the girls will too.
- The complete Oz series by L. Frank Baum
- Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
- Ramona series by Beverly Cleary
- Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene
- Chronicle of Narnia series by C. S. Lewis
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
- James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl
- Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White
- Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
- Pippi Longstockings by Astrid Lindgren
- The Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London
- Stuart Little by E. B. White
- The Borrowers by Mary Norton
- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Heidi by Johanna Spyri
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
- The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
- The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
These are enough books to keep us going for awhile. What books would you add to our list?